Friday, August 15, 2008

hunter gatherer

So I caught swap fever this summer. I did the Summer Fun Apron Swap, then the Bend-the-Rules Sewing Swap, and because Ravelry is such a friendly place, I couldn't help but organize a swap over there. One reason the Rav is so fabulous is because of its groups. There's a group for just about everything, including one for sewing. It's aptly called Sew Obsessed, and I'm such a sewing junkie that it's where I spend most of my time on Ravelry, a knitting site, ha.

Everyone voted on what to make, and, to my relief, aprons won. I wanted to swap, but I didn't want to make anything time consuming, or too subject to personal taste. I'd wear a fabric and style of apron that I wouldn't wear as a garment, and I'm guessing a lot of people feel that way. It's not much of a commitment. Besides, those of us who like aprons mostly like to look at them anyway.

I'll post the apron I received tomorrow -- it's really cute. Meanwhile, you're looking at the one I made. Even though this whole thing was my idea, I sent my package to my swapee a little late, having made this apron ... well ... today. This tells me that a) that's enough with the swapping, because b) I'm busy these days.

My intention was to make the apron out of this fabric --

and you can see I started to do just that. I bought it on eBay expressly for this purpose. It's vintage, from the 1950s, and I loved it from the start. So much so that I swooped in on it and won it in the last few seconds. Am I starting to sound like a birth mother having second thoughts about giving up her baby? That's what happened. Once I put the pockets on it I knew I'd never be able to let it go. It just wasn't going down like that. I decided that I could use yet another apron. (Really?) Then this morning I woke up and looked at it and something else came to mind. As soon as I can find the time, it's on.

My change of heart meant last-minute stash raiding. I bought this Denyse Schmidt fabric some time ago. I had a Built by Wendy pattern in mind for it, but I fell out of love with the idea of the two together. The print remains one of my favorites, and I would've kept hoarding it, but I felt it was only fair to give up a favorite in exchange for the vintage print. (Alright, alright. I decided I could buy more.) This pattern calls for almost 3 yards of fabric. I don't typically have more than a couple yards of a given fabric on hand, but I had enough of this. I couldn't fathom why a half apron would require that much fabric. It's because it's gathered to high heaven.

Project Notes
Pattern: Simplicity "Vintage '48 & '52"
#3544, view D
Fabric: Denyse Schmidt
"Katie Jump Rope," courtesy of eBay.
Size: Medium, which yielded a whole lotta apron.
Fun in the sun? Turns out I'm a fool for playing with bias tape, so the pockets were a blast. Hopefully, my swap buddy will enjoy it.

4 comments:

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

It looks great! I like the fabric.

Anonymous said...

Love the bias around the pockets. 3 yards? Really? Good call on keeping the vintage fabric hee.

Anonymous said...

I like them both but I would have kept the Denyse Schmidt's.
That is a ton of fabric in just a half apron?

Heather

Natalie said...

oooooo soooo nice.
It's totally Sophie's choice to me.