Monday, August 18, 2008

cute finds a home

Remember this?
My humble first quilt. So far, my only, but there'll be others. I started it for a co-worker who was asked not to return after her maternity leave. She wasn't someone I felt close to, in fact, she was a tad on the mean side. It was just that since she was having a baby, I thought it was a good opportunity to get in some quilt-making practice. I had no idea how much goes into making a quilt. As I pieced it, I reconsidered giving it to her. Then she was fired and it became a non-issue. I made up my mind to give it to Arlene, our receptionist, and one of my favorite work people. Still, I held on to it until today, her last day before maternity leave. I guess I got a little attached.

I gave it to her with these sweet baby shoes I bought at Target long before I'd finished it. I mean, stop it Target. Baby elephant shoes? To accompany my baby elephant blankie? Yes.

I'll miss Arlene. She's debating whether to return after her leave, and I won't be around much myself, so today is possibly the last day we'll ever see each other. Funny how that happens.

Okay. Time for a cute overload.

I know you can't stand it. I can't either. A student brought in some puppies to give away today. This little boo boo is the one Arlene took home. (I know. A newborn and a puppy?! If anyone can handle it, Arlene can.) I held him for a while, and when I put him on my chest, he laid his head on me and I could swear he whispered, Carlita, I love you, into my ear. Man, oh man. The sweetness almost made me choke.

11 comments:

Adrienne said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

The puppy is beyond cute!

I love the quilt and the shoes....

Shawnta said...

OMG that is too cute!!!!
Puppies have a way of looking at you that just says"take me home"

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but then they grow up.

Christie said...

Cute, cute, cute!

Hey...I thought I might have seen you at The Grove Saturday night. Do you have a really great orange purse?

yaiAnn said...

OMG.. I want to eat that puppy! Glad the quilt found a better home than the nasty lady that got fired!

Dk's Wife said...

Pup pup love...there is nothing better!

Natalie said...

outta my way because I am going to steal that sweet, sweet puppy. Do you know where Arlene lives? My evil puppy stealing plans are in the works. His eyes are telling me he loves me too. I love me some animals.

Anonymous said...

OMG I lvoe that quilt and matching shoes!! What an adorabley cute puppy.

Orchidophile said...

So adorable!

Lisa R-R said...

Wow I thought it was illegal to fire someone on maternity leave.
Too bad she was mean, but glad you had some quilting practice.