Monday, August 11, 2008

the 8th dirty word

Comfort.

Ever see Stacy and Clinton go ballistic when a What Not to Wear makeover candidate stands by the word? I've worn these elastic-waist peddle pushers for 17 years because they're comfortable, she'll say. Then Stacy will make a face like she's smelling poo, and Clinton will pretend to faint.

As far as I'm concerned, style is relevant, but comfort is universal.

We all know what feels good the minute we put it on. The trick is to be comfortable without looking like you've given up on life in its entirety.

These pants pray to the god of comfort, but they don't scream Pass me the remote and a bag of Cheetos and get out of my way.

I made the red ones in a cotton/linen blend, and the green ones in washed linen (so soft they'll probably get me arrested for feeling myself up in public). Make them in silk, make the drawstring more discreet, and they'd get you invited to a cocktail party.

I know a good pattern when I make one. You may recognize these as the Wear Anywhere Yoga Pants from Sew Everything Workshop. I made my first pair back in June.

9 comments:

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

Those are great! I made a pair of drawstring pants recently in brown linen.... however, my butt is not nearly as high so mine don't look as good on me. Hmmm.... perhaps I should go downward dog right now.

Natalie said...

Those look sooo good.
I gotta crack open that book & make me some. Comfy and good looking. Stacey & Clinton would approve.

Adrienne said...

They look great!

Orchidophile said...

Nice!

DeltaPurl said...

wishes I could sew :-(

yaiAnn said...

So what else is in this book that will make me run out and get it?

normanack said...

Those pants look so good on you! (Then again, everything looks so good on you! :-) )
As I currently live in jeans and ratty T-shirts, and have been meaning to (minimally) upgrade my wardrobe but hate shopping, methinks I'll get a copy of that book.
Oh, and Deltapurl? You can sew!

Deborah said...

Hysterically funny! Make me a pair of those pants pleeez! My measurements Waist: 55, Hips: 38 Length: 28 - aw geez, never mind....

golden star said...

The pants are great looking...on you and those nice long legs. Not sure if my shorties can carry off the look.

I am sure that these could pass the WNTW test and not make it to the can!