Wednesday, March 19, 2008

¿cómo se dice quilt en espanol?

There was no way I was going to take a break and show up here without having finished this. I used ol' Purly V as incentive to get through the quilting and get over my binding phobia. I wasn't quite up for doing continuous binding yet, so I self-bound this one. I thought it would come out looking tacky, but it's fine. In fact, I'm going to stick with the technique for another quilt or two.

I did learn a lot by doing this "maquette." And yes, I am certainly going to see some baby bundled up in it. I'm thinking about our receptionist at work. She's dear, and she happens to be with child. I might just gift it to her, puckers and all.

I won't front like I'm not excited that I completed this. I've wanted to learn to quilt forever, longer than I'd wanted to learn to knit. Quilting seemed impractical without a sewing machine (which I didn't know how to use anyway), yet, I wasn't much interested in machine quilting. It seemed inauthentic (oh how the snobby fall). Finally having my quilting dream come to fruition has inspired me to commit to a couple of other dreams: Learning to swim (yikes!) and learning to speak Spanish. I've made stabs at both, but it's time to regard them in earnest. I'm going to give each goal ample time. Swimming I'll do by the time I'm 45; that gives me 3 years to start taking lessons and learn. I'll be fluent in Spanish by 50.

Funny how something so simple, like a little puckered, imperfect baby quilt, can push you to take on other things that seem big, mysterious, and in the dark of night, impossible.

10 comments:

Adrienne said...

Can you see me hanging my head in shame?!?!?! lol I love it!

Anonymous said...

Que bonita Colcha!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet blankie! Did you wrap the ends of the backing fabric over to form the binding?

I am a little ahead of you on the 'future intents' game. I learned to swim when I was 28/29yrs and still have Spanish on my list.
Find a good swim coach and maybe a great group, small class is better obviously. I learnt in Asia at a YMCA. It was a wonderful experience. Now I don't swim anymore because the pools here are overcrowded and there is no reserve lane for people who just want to do laps.

Now I hope to get Spanish under my belt soon. I do so want to learn it but going to Spain is out of the question. I am actually thinking of Cuba! A fun place maybe and probably much cheaper than elsewhere.
Heather

Nik said...

Esta es "la Colcha".

But I see someone beat me to it.

Still Patrice said...

Its very pretty! How difficult was it to make? I havea shower coming up in 10 days, and that would make a great gift!

Harlem Purl said...

I love how your quilt came out. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

oh ... that is BEAUTIFUL, mo.

carlita dee said...

A million gracias (graciasES?) for these comments! :)

Hey, Heather. Yep. That's what I did. Just wrapped the backing fabric over. Easy peasy. Ohhh! I'd love to learn Spanish in Cuba. Great idea.

Frank said...

ADORABLE!

yaiAnn said...

Yahoo! Congrats on your quilt! Now you're bound to make many many more! =)