Saturday, November 08, 2008

mrs. o

The infatuation with the POTUS-elect has returned to admiration, and I'm back to the true object of my affection, Michelle. She's fierce and fabulous, and I'm so happy she's our new First Lady.

At 42, I don't look for role models (maybe I ought to), but I know a good one when I see her. I'm going about my ordinary business -- looking for an apartment, handling work-related situations, taking care of Mira, and so forth -- with a little more hope and conviction. I can't say I'd want to be in Michelle Obama's position, because it's hard to wrap my mind around the magnitude of it, but the grace, pragmatism, and intelligence with which she's handling it is pure inspiration to me.

Now I wonder what big dreams I've backed away from, for fear of the too muchness of it all, that I can dust off and embrace, loving them for the journey alone, no matter where they lead me.

6 comments:

Nettie said...

I've been feeling the same way. I really feel like so many more things are possible. And I feel more responsible for my own destiny. Like if the things I want don't happen it's on me and no one else.

Natalie said...

Amen sister. Time to dust off some dreams and get to journeying.

Unknown said...

All I can say is........well said.

afrowalking said...

"Loving them for the journey alone, no matter where they lead (you)." Love that. Thank you, gurl xoxo

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

Wonderfully written.... I wholeheartedly agree.

Christie said...

Definitely something to think about.

To be honest, I wasn't sure about Michelle when this whole journey started. But after I saw her speak at UCLA, I am one of her biggest fans. She's smart, funny and inspiring. I look forward to the next 4 years. And finding and working toward those deferred dreams in my own life.