Tuesday, April 15, 2008

someone who kinda looks like me

My father and I at Easy Street, Thursday, 4/10/08

My goodness. I'm hourly at work now and really should be there making money, but I feel like I've been run over by a tractor. It's not just the time change, but the effect of the amazing technicolor dreamcoat experience known as my family. My father being the eldest of 11, there are so many of them. Were I to try to list all my cousins, I'd probably come up with different names each time. Just oodles of people, all coming at you in a random, chaotic non-order. It's all love, except when it's not, and it's loud no matter what.

I kind of have to gather it all, but I do want to talk about it some later. For now I can say that I'm happy my father is alright, and that I wholeheartedly thank you guys for your wonderful support. I'm glad some of you were reminded of family members in my description of my father! It's nice to know there's a character in (nearly) every family.

In the end, my father will be my father. Actually, he'll be Eric, himself. He will continue, as he likes to say, to test his resolve; drinking, smoking, getting high, gambling, running the streets, philosophizing, fighting with and looking out for his family (no one I know loves family more than my father does), giving us shit, and taking a break from it all when he feels like he needs to. One night, my sister cried to me, What are we gonna do about Dad? I said to her, We're going to let Dad be Dad, and we're going to love him no matter what. That's what we're gonna do.

With my brother, Laddy, at Easy Street again (hey, it's Toledo), Monday, 4/14/08

9 comments:

yaiAnn said...

What a great reminder! No matter what your father or other family member's personality is like, they are who they are and underneath all that, they love you to death and you wouldn't be the same person without having gone through their quirks!

Anonymous said...

Oh. It's so nice to see a picture of Eric! The thing about him is that just beneath the eccentricities, he's quite brilliant. I loved him from the moment we met. I'm so glad he's feeling better!

Natalie said...

Everyone is looking good at Easy Street! Pops definitely looks good and happy.

Ellen Bloom said...

Whoa! I really do see the family resemblance! It's startling, except that you're cuter.

Glad Dad is OK. He seems so happy to see you!

Emily Cole said...

What a handsome Dad you have! You do look just like him! It looks like you had a nice visit.

Lola and Ava said...

Ohh Easy Street! I'm insanely jealous. I can taste their onion rings & greek salad right now. I'm heading to Detroit soon. I've got to stop in for a quick lunch.
-L

Anonymous said...

LOL, I can see your Dad's personality coming through in that picture. He spat you out! as we would say back home, the resemblance is so strong.

I hope you have loads more pictures to post. Welcome home.

Anonymous said...

Heather

carlita dee said...

Ha ha! We used to say the same thing, Heather. Thank you. It's good to be back.