Saturday, April 12, 2008

saturday in the midwest

At a very low point in his hospital stay, my sister asked my father, Out of all your 61 years of living, which moments were your favorites? My father answered, This one.

Toledo today tells why I came to think of Prince as a genius. Years ago, he summed up the mixture of sadness, disappointment, and longing:

Sometimes it snows in April
Sometimes you feel so bad
Sometimes I wish that life was never ending
But all good things, they say, never last

It's cold, and I am decked in my California living clothes -- boots and a long sweater, but knees and head exposed to the elements, making me feel the chill all over.

I am in a place that wasn't here when last I was, Organic Bliss. Not a lot of organic going on. Lunch was on the happy side, but blissful, I dunno. The hot chocolate was pretty close.

Tomorrow, Chicago. I got peoples there. Peoples I haven't seen in ages and I don't know when I'll see again, so off we go. Yahoo Weather calls for morning snow with a high of 40. Really, I do love those people.

Thank you to everyone who commented on the character known as my dad. Yesterday he decided that medication and alcohol do mix. And guess what, they mix with shooting dice! And winning! And stepping backward in a show of celebration! And tripping over a branch! And falling down hard! And having to be carried home by my brother and cousin! And throwing up! And finally admitting defeat by going to bed!

Today he's at the junkyard, looking for parts for a Cadillac he's going to restore, so he's okay. Probably he's enjoyed every moment of these last few days, or most of them, at least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

moin, your dad is having a grand time with all this attention. You are sooooo the writer. Stop procrastinating.

Heather
Day?
I think 25?