Thursday, October 16, 2008

at last, someone gets us

I can't live with it. I wanted Korto to win. Having taken another look at Leanne's collection, pretty, but once you've worn one of those wave pieces of hers, you've worn them all.

Bah.

On to better things, Susie Bright, more popularly known for writing naughty naughty sex stuff, writes a great column for Craft Magazine called "Susie's Home Ec." In the current issue, Craft 08, she has a piece called "Stash: Confessions of a Fabric Addict." It's not online, but if you have a chance to pick up Craft and read it, do. It's hilarious, and painfully true. Here's what happened when she and her daughter decided to take a sewing class together:

The two of us took no chances; we bought everything: the fabrics for Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C. My teacher applauded our choices, as did all the other students. It's like being in a bar at 6am with all your friends. Have another one!

Oh, the enabling. The piece is really funny. And to think, if I hadn't moved down here to the land of free parking, I wouldn't be spending so much time leisurely leafing through magazines in Border's, and I wouldn't have come across Susie's column. My life has already improved so much!

Okay, I just heard the best description of Jo-Ann's, ever. One of the contestants on "Top Design" said it. Jo-Ann's is "gold Keds with a stirrup pant a sweatshirt that says 'Grandma loves her grandchildren.'" (How is it, then, that I manage to plunk down what should be my life savings every time I walk in the door?)

3 comments:

Susie Bright said...

Carlita, thanks so much for noticing my sewing stories! I love writing that column; it's a nice switch from politics, feminism, and the like.

Yesterday i made "scrubs" for my husband out of the Brokeback Mountain Cowboy fabric I mentioned in the article! I swear I am going to get to the bottom of at least one bag under my bed!

Christie said...

I totally agree that Korto should have won. Overworked? I loved so many of her pieces. And the color palette? Don't get me started.

I'm not worried that she won't have people seeking her out. I would!

And hasn't Leeann done that structural wave thing since the first challenge? Some of her pieces were wonderful, but I totally agree with you.

Natalie said...

That article is hilarious. I am going to read it again right now. I forgot to go and look at the other PR collections. Gonna do that right now too!