Tuesday, March 18, 2008

dressing myself in corduroy and denim*

I wasn't writing or eating, but I was doing plenty of making. I got quite a bit (for me) of sewing done. I'm forever meaning to lace myself with new bags and pouches, and ever since I made Naiomi's tote, I've wanted to use the same brown corduroy for myself. It's soft and sturdy, but being corduroy and being dark, it attracts things, so I looked to break it up a bit. I made this:

And a not-so-wee pouch to go with:

Office posery:

For the bag's construction, I used this generous tutorial. I didn't use the same dimensions, and figured out that her bag is so wide for a reason -- more room for pleating. The mouth of my bag is a good size, but any smaller and it'd be too small. I'm happy with the way this turned out, with one exception: the interfacing. It's iron-on, and it started to peel and pucker almost as soon as I got ready to line the bag. I'm thinking about switching to sew-in. Overall though, it's a love affair.

*A nod to one of my favorite writers, David Sedaris, who I am thrilled to note has a new book coming out in June. His work I could eat.

7 comments:

Adrienne said...

Ohhhh!! That is TOO CUTE!!!!!

jessie said...

You make it look too easy. I've been wondering if I need to make myself a bag since I hate my pocketbook. But the sewing machine (old) weighs 900 pounds, give or take, and lives upstairs in our barn. I'm kind of lazy about that sort of thing.

Love, love David Sedaris, the writer who sometimes makes me cringe as I read, but always makes me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, you did do quite a bit behind the scene! Don't you get a great feeling of accomplishment when you get some good sewing time in? I am still working on my patterns, well on and off inbetween other things such as welcoming new machines....LOL..

Heather

Anonymous said...

Love the bag! I may have to give it a try!!! Nice work as always :)
~empress
http://www.royalempress.wordpress.com

lisa said...

LOVE the bag!

carlita dee said...

Thank you, thank you. It sure is handy.

Hey, Heather. Did you just say what I think you said? "New machines!?"

yaiAnn said...

I heart BOTH those bags! Wow.. that flower.. LOVE IT! Now to decide between that or the Betty Shopper to be my bag of choice for Brazil.. hrmm...