Thursday, July 02, 2009

weekday warrior

Projects I've been meaning to get to for the longest, day 2.

And what have I learned, lo these two days?

1) In the end, it's the mosquitoes who will rule this joint.
2) Painting furniture is not the walk in the park I remember. Especially not in the fiery furnace of a Texas summer.
3) A tack cloth is tacky. Not in the sense that it has bad taste, but in the way of being very, very sticky. Might I suggest gloves if you ever handle one?

Here's the ugliest thing I've ever bought:

It's like somebody gave it to his kid to puke on. It startled me when I saw it at Goodwill, then I saw the price, 8 bucks, and thought, hmm .... It's got a top tray, which I didn't photograph. It's my last painting project. I've sanded it, and will finish it tomorrow.

I started painting at 6:30 this morning to beat the heat (big fat ha). I opened my back door to this:

And a wave of humidity.

I've (only) been to Lowe's 3 times since yesterday, and Hobby Lobby once. I think I'm geared up for a big finish.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Holy smokes!

There is a whole lot going on back there. I hope you took those projects down and are sipping on a cool refreshing beverage.

Ellen Bloom said...

My congratulations on your industriousness (is that a word?), My Dear!

Happy 4th of July!

Jean said...

I've never been brave enough to refinish and paint furniture, so I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. However, I have been attacked by hungry mosquitoes, so hopefully you've been able to stay out of their path!

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

Wow, you've been busy!

Anonymous said...

Busy little bee you've been. My mom just spent the week with us in Berkeley and commented that it was 104 in Dallas. It didn't get past 80 where we were all week! I am keeping my fingers crossed for the ugly piece you got there. I could have never seen it's potential.