Wednesday, February 21, 2007

rhapsody in blue and brown

Remember my little yarn shortage problem? Well, desperation is a hard but compelling mistress. She forced me to see the resources I had on hand, and thanks to the spit join, a color card, and a few 2 - 3 inch yarn scraps recovered from the wastebasket, I was able to piece together a length of yarn long enough to knit the last row plus the cast-off row. In the process, I learned that with garter stitch it's rather a waste to cast-off on the front of a garment. I didn't have enough scraps to knit two rows plus a cast-off on the front, so I knitted one row, which landed me on the back, and cast-off on that side. I was surprised to find it looked exactly the same as if I'd knitted that extra row. If I had been casting-off on the back all along, I wouldn't have fallen short. Whadda they say? Live and learn.

And so the Stevie 41 Scarf is warming the neck of its intended recipient, possibly as we speak.

Made from Beaverslide Dry Goods' 100% wool -- you haven't used wool like this before -- in "bison brown" and "hidden lake," it's a simple garter stitch, vertically striped piece. I did it in panels for portability and flexibility. This is not a project I had planned, but I was minding my own business one day (in December, yah, because this year I haven't bought a single skein) when I came across this post. Before you go here, BE WARNED. This guy is a pusher. He takes the sexiest and most seductive pictures of yarn your eyes have ever seen. I loved his scarf, done in another of Beaverslide's yarns, a merino/mohair blend. I loved it so much that I had to order something from them. I called myself saving money because the yarn I bought is a bit cheaper, but the minute I received it, I placed two more orders. Oops. This yarn is a heavy worsted, and it feels/looks a little bit felted. It has a lovely masculinity, saturated color, and blocks like a dream.

Here's what I did:
Stevie 41 Scarf
  • In color A, cast-on 46 sts using size 9 needles
  • Knit 8 rows in color A
  • Switch to color B and knit 8 rows (word to the wise, save your sanity by doing this)
  • Switch to color A and knit 8 rows
  • Switch to color B and knit 10 rows
  • Switch to color A and knit 8 rows
  • Switch to color B and knit 8 rows
  • Switch to color A and knit 7 rows
  • Cast-off on row 8
Alternate colors A and B so that the panels will be opposite. In other words, knit 3 panels where brown is color A and three panels where blue is color A.

Once you've done 6 panels, crochet them together. (Or use whatever method you fancy. I like the ridge the crochet join creates. It gives the scarf an industrial look.) Wash and block. I repeat, wash and block, especially if you're into drape. The finished size should be about 8.5" x 72".

9 comments:

Adrienne said...

This looks fantastic, and I can ACTUALLY understand what to do! LOL

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

gorgeous scarf. Even more gorgeous model!

carlita dee said...

Thanks, guys. :)

Shobhana, I love taking pics. So thank you!

monkey, he's my muse. Though he does whine from time to time.

Meranie said...

Oh my goodness, that is some gorgeous photography. And I LOVE the knitting! Thank you for the pattern, inspiration, and stash-busting! And that is a very, very sexy man!

Anonymous said...

WOW ... yeah, ditto on design, photos and model! :-)

sturdygirl said...

oh, i love that scarf. call GQ! very good design.

and, i loved your post about the vision collages. what a great way to get to know your friends and to inspire each other to reach your goals.

thanks for the healing wishes too. :)

carlita dee said...

Thank you, hari. I think he's pretty darn cute. Heh heh.

V you know I love you.

sturdygirl, GQ, ha ha. I should've done the checking the time with the jacket over the shoulder shot. I hope you're feeling better every day.

Spinning Girl said...

lovely, LOVELY ...
and what a model! Wow.

Ellen Bloom said...

Uh Oh..Bubba is getting way too much attention here. He already knows he's gorgeous....time to sign up for Male Model of the Month! The scarf looks perfect on him. Way to go, Carla...time to sign up for "Project Runway!"